Thursday, January 21, 2016

Do Unto Others

Typically I like to get away from the hustle and bustle of the office and I will go find a nice spot to park and eat in my car. A few days ago I was doing just that and decided to park at Burger King located downtown, which is a place I park a lot. That day there was a homeless man sitting on the curb about 10 yards away from me, I would say he was about 70. He was dirty, smoking an old cigarette that he most likely found on the ground, and talking to himself. I sat and watched him and found myself thinking "What a disgusting person! I mean he's sitting there talking to himself, he must be crazy!! If he can afford to buy cigarettes he should be able to buy food for himself!" I was thinking those things about this man I knew nothing about.   
As I continued to watch him sit there in the cold I noticed a man walk up and pull a hamburger out of a bag and give it to the homeless man. The man bowed his head in thanks and began to eat the hamburger like he hadn't eaten in a month. All the sudden I felt something come over me, I felt so terrible for judging this man and I felt lead to read Matthew 25: 34-40 and when I did I knew it was God that was directing me to that verse. 

Matthew 25:34-40(NIV) 34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’ 37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’ 40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

I truly believe that the Lord and his angels disguises themselves so that our faith can be tested. We never know what a person is going through or what happened to have them in the situation their in but it's our job as Christians not to judge and to go outside the four walls of our church to bless others. It's not to sit in our car and watch from a far  but to reach out to those who are hurting or in need. Hebrews 13:2 it says “Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it". How amazing is that? That we've possible come in contact with an angel and didn't even know it and we got the opportunity to bless him/her. 
So next time you see someone in need put your pride or fear aside and go out of your way to bless that person because you blessing them could mean a complete turn around for their life. Never ever judge someone because you have never walked a day in their shoes, you don't know what's happened in their life but instead pray for them. Matthew 25:40 says The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ So even if it makes you uncomfortable to step outside your box and help someone just know that you're also blessing God and you will receive you reward for that.


No comments:

Post a Comment